Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Zoom Levels

Subject:Zoom Levels 

MobiDick

12:51
Wednesday
7-Mar-2007

First of all, thank you so much for this marvel software!

In the past, I have played a little bit with MobitrackPro, but was not sophisticated enough (btw, does anyone know why the site is down?)

Turning to tmj, my main interest is having a device with decent maps for outdoor sports. In this context I am not satisfied with the zoom levels provided. If one uses more than 50%, one can hardly recognize anything. From most digital map sources, the maps of different zoom levels are quite different, e.g. look at a street map of google maps. Therefore, it would be nice to have the possibility to flip the screen between different maps of different scale, which are not just a simple resized image. Is that feasible?

Stephen

14:30
Wednesday
7-Mar-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Glad you like it!!

I agree that the zoomed out maps can be a little unclear. The first thing I'd suggest is when you create the tmj file in the Map Organiser, untick the 'Automatic Image Resizing' option and resize the zoomed out tiles manually. The Map Organiser uses a pretty crude resizing algorithm which doesn't always give great results. I've found Irfanview can do a better job. (More info on the Map Organiser web page)

You'll be pleased to hear that the next version includes a map file browser and 'recently used map list' which makes it much easier to switch between different maps, rather than having to change the map in the Settings screen, then restart the program.

Finally, I've been thinking about writing a 'map combining' tool, which would allow two separate TMJ files to be merged into one. This would then potentially allow you to create any combination of map scale/style in the one file. I guess this is pretty much what you're after!?

Regards,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)