Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Offline map trouble

Subject:Offline map trouble 

TDHster

14:24
Tuesday
30-Jan-2007

When I loading map after TMJMapOrganazier and viewing it in multiple mode, new segment doesn't autoloading when moving. If restart tmj - pictures show ok, but don't autoloading when move in new segment of map again.

And some feature may be simplify life - realtime map calibration correction. When map file calibration is not ok - present some difference with real position on map with shown. In some correction mode move cursor to real map position and tmj may add difference to coordinates for correct show moving crusor on map.

Stephen

18:45
Tuesday
30-Jan-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi TDHster,

I'm not quite sure why the maps aren't displaying correctly. It could be a memory issue - does it do the same thing when in 'Single' mode? How about with/without Map Caching turned on. And what size of map tile (pixel height/width) did you specify in the Map Organiser?

Regarding the calibration idea, to be honest I don't really see the benefit - if the map is not calibrated correctly to start with this can't be corrected later by adding an offset to the displayed position since the offset required would be different for each pixel of the map. For example, if a map was correctly calibrated on the left, right and bottom edges, but with an incorrect top edge value, then the offset required when the current location is near the bottom of the map would be minimal, but at the top of the map the offset required would be quite large. The only time the offset would be constant is if the top and bottom, or left and right edges are 'out' by the same amount. Hope this makes sense!!

Cheers,
Stephen

TDHster

9:53
Wednesday
31-Jan-2007

About displaying I'll test more.

About correction.. About incorrect calibration I mean that map goes with mistakes from ozi. Now I have map that corrctly show track on street in Ozi but in tmj on some peaces of map I have a big defference from reality. I suppose that map file have a nonlinear coordinate lines with more than one calibration points. In tmj I prefere if moving in one peace of map to enter correction by manual, to see right position on map with a more little mistake.
Or may be save in tmj some correction points set and interpolate correction on whole map file ;)

And more quiestion.. How real make ability to see map in different scale? I think 1:2 1:4 and 1:8 will be sufficiently for example.

For suggest: Add to map view mode menu (at right key) item "show scale line" as in track view will add convinience.

psj2k2

15:36
Wednesday
31-Jan-2007

TDHster

Best way to test a map in TMJ is to use generate waypoints on the TMJ website and pull them down to phone.

Use road junctions or roundabouts to get some good references in the corners of your map.

Then on the phone highlight the waypoint and hit the "*" key, this will centre the map on the waypoint and allow you to see how accurate the phone map is. use this to look at all the waypoints that appear on your phone map.

This will allow you to decide if the map is generally offset, shrunk, stretched, slewed or all of the above. You can then either use some maths or trial and error and change the min and max calibration points and regererate the map.

I have had similar issues on large maps but have not experimented enough to suggest why but the above is a work around.

Regards

Pete

TDHster

17:24
Wednesday
31-Jan-2007

Hi Pete!
I think that you way can help, but speech about case when no internet access. ;(

Stephen

19:52
Wednesday
31-Jan-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yes, as Pete suggests the Waypoint idea could be quite useful. Even if you have no internet access on your phone you can still download the waypoints as an Ozi file to your computer (scroll to the bottom of the Waypoints page to find the Ozi link) and them import them to the phone.

I've been thinking about adding a (very) simple map offset function which would store the difference between the current location and the centre of the screen and apply this offset to the map in future (until the next restart). I'm still not sure that this would particularly help much though... any thoughts?

Overall, I think the problems you are having are more likely to be due to your map having a different projection from the rectangular WGS84 one used by TMJ-Mobile. OziExplorer is able to handle many different projections, but to add this functionality to the phone software would be hugely difficult. Converting between different projections can be very fiddly - as an example the formulae to convert between the British National Grid projection and WGS84 covers two page of A4:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/docs/
A_Guide_to_Coordinate_Systems_in_Great_Britain.pdf (Appendix C)!

What I'd like to do is create a computer-based program that stretches/distorts other projections ending up with a JPEG/PNG file for the phone which is perfectly 'square' and in the right WGS84 format. That way the phone doesn't have to perform all the complex calculations. I've actually already written a basic utility that does this for the British National Grid (Ordnance Survey maps now work really well on my phone), but it would need a lot more time/effort to add in more projection formats...

TDHster

18:32
Tuesday
6-Feb-2007

Maps seems to be not autoloading and backlight sometime goes off when java application goes to background and returned to normal working state. My phone is k750i.
Autoloading stoping at all when this accure - restart only way. I almost always use multiple view.

And I want to remember you about grouping waipoints like windows folder.. Are you suppose to realize this? It will be very userfull when user have enough number of waypoints.

And about scale in map mode...

Stephen

10:25
Wednesday
7-Feb-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Does the autoloading do the same thing with and without Map Caching turned on?

I'm still considering the waypoint grouping, but not sure yet whether I'll add it or not. The next version does allow you to show/hide waypoints on the plan/map by type (Railway, School, Hotel, etc), which might help...

I'll add the scale dispay on the map page... When you talked about showing the map at different scales (1:2, 1:4, etc), isn't this is already available...?

TDHster

10:35
Thursday
8-Feb-2007

I will test it.

This made some help, sure. But in waypoints list some points may be use very seldom, but sometimes very needded. Selecting in big list unconvinient. If often use telephone without connecting with inet or cmputer for add/remove wpts with some time I have a big number of POI, some of them I use often, some of than needed only in some situation or somtimes such as petrol or medical. If in list will be present some folder such as "often use", "medical" or "for auto" searching for needed waypoint will be simplified.

About map page.. Scale line - good!
Zooming map - I cann't change it and see in fixed 1:1 scale only. */# key doesn't change zoom in pixel map loaded in phone.

And can you add one more Text information page that will collect the same information as the track page, but not from start track when it cleared but from tmj is started. Because track may be not cleared for some long time, but information about last trip may be interesting.

Stephen

19:02
Thursday
8-Feb-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Out of interest, how many waypoints are you using at the moment?

The map zoom is only available if you select more than one zoom level with the Map Organiser when you initially convert the map - the phone itself is unable to scale an image 'on the fly' so the different zoom levels have to be pre-generated by the Map Organiser (therefore it will only work with .TMJ files).

I'm working on an extra text page which shows stats for each section of the track (a new section is started automatically each time the program is started), so this should cover your other suggestion...

TDHster

15:01
Friday
9-Feb-2007

I planning to use more than 60 with grouping. More than 15-20 very long time to find needed point now.

I cann't find how to specify number of zoom level. Can you tell me how I can do this?

New text info page - will be very good!

Stephen

15:53
Friday
9-Feb-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

In the Map Organiser, just before you use the 'Save TMJ File As' function, select the zoom levels from the list (Original 1:1, Half Size 1:2, Quarter Size 1:4, etc) that you want to include in the TMJ file (Ctrl-click to select more than one). You can then use the */# keys to switch between levels on the phone.

(Check that you are using v1.2 of the Map Organiser as well.)

One tip with the waypoints, if you press the (3) key a second time the waypoints will be listed alphabetically, which can make it a bit easier to find the one you are after...

TDHster

12:41
Monday
12-Feb-2007

It's not evident for users. May be change description to "Select scale(s) to store in tmj file, (ctrl+click for select more than one) ? for example..

And place somewhere information that only .tmj file needed to store in phone memory, not all created. Or remove temporary image files when programm is finished.

If store more than one zoom level - all working ok, thanks!
Only some trouble when I selecting some zoom levels - tmj not created but none error mesasges. When decrease It number - tmj file created.

I found this tip early, thanks. May be it need to store in manual?

TDHster

17:42
Monday
12-Feb-2007

And will be very pretty if map,or may be and track view, be shifted in opposition moving direction on value proportional velocity. Certainly all this as feature than user can turn on or off.

Stephen

21:54
Monday
12-Feb-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I don't quite follow you regarding the proportional velocity thing - could you explain a bit more, thanks! :-)

Just released the new version - its got the extra Text pages (use the up/down keys to view stats for each Section on the TRACK page), and a new 'Track-Up' page, similar to your suggestion a while ago...

TDHster

8:11
Tuesday
13-Feb-2007

Thanks to you! Already running ;)

About map shift.. For example: When I moving to east in map view cursor show me my position at center of screen. When I moving information from map behind my moving direction no such intresting such as part of picture im moving direction. And suggest - shift cursor that show my position from center to left on some value proportional velocity. In this case I will see more infromation on map in more interesting dircetion - towards I moving. And when I stop - return to center of mobile screen.
And may be follow dreams about it - not shift to center if moving direction not changes for some time f.e. if car temporary stopped in roadcrossing. And ability return map to center of screen by pressing some key will be convinient.

Stephen

16:33
Tuesday
13-Feb-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yep, thanks - got it now! I actually thought about something like this a while ago and then never got round to including it. I'll experiment - it could end up being slightly jerky, but I'll give it a go...

TDHster

8:42
Thursday
15-Feb-2007

May be some feature in track view also will be usefull.
By the way: I think that auto pan, Include track in track view should be default set to off. To see all track - may press 4 key, but in most cases more intresting current part of track and nearest waypoint.
About deleting temporary files int Map Conversion. Just for my interest: deleting temporary jpg files have some troubles?

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)