Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / How about a runners module?

Subject:How about a runners module? 

markpenders

21:56
Sunday
7-Jan-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Stephen,

while running (see my latest track), I thought: if I only could record laps, or if TMJ-mobile could warn me after I'd run X meters, that would be a great addition.

I've got some ideas about it, let me know if you're interested.

Cheers,

Mark.

Stephen

9:43
Monday
8-Jan-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I've been thinking, I could add an option to make a route 'circular', so when you get to the end of the route it automatically starts again at the beginning. It could also start a new track section, so any timings/distances would effectively be separated for each lap. This might not be hugely accurate (bearing in mind GPS resolution and the fact that it only gives a signal once per second), but for relatively slow sports (eg jogging rather than sprinting) it should be okay...

What did you have in mind?

markpenders

21:03
Monday
8-Jan-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Stephen,

you're right about the GPS-accuracy. You can't be more accurate than that.

To record laps, there are a few options.

(A) Preconfigured
------------------
(1) I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 301 for some time. It allowed me to run a certain distance (or a certain time, or a certain speed for some time etc.) and notify when I completed it (necessary part of a training by the way). Quite handy, because you could run "free" and were not forced to run a certain circular route a couple of times. Implementation is probably a bit difficult, as it would require that you can "preprogram" a training like "run 1000m - rest 400m - run 2000m - rest 800m - run 1000m - finish".

(2) Starting from your circular routes: you could create a start "zone" or "line" instead of a start "point". Whenever you reenter the zone or pass the "line", a new lap starts.

(3) Create a route, mark some points on it as "lap" points and have TMJ record when you hit/pass those points. I do realise that it is already in TMJ, however, the calculations would have to be done manually.

(B) Record laps during the run
(1) I could press a button whenever I feel I've covered a lap/some distance

You could finish it off by allowing to add a HRM-file (hart rate monitor file) to a track, so that it will be possible to analyse hart rate against terrain and timings. Have a look at www.motionbased.com.

I do realise that you have limited time and limited memory ... so it is up to you.

Cheers,

Mark.

Stephen

19:39
Tuesday
9-Jan-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

I should be able to add a few of these features into the next version - not sure about A1 though, its maybe a bit too specific but I'll bear it in mind...

I've completed the circular route addition, so it will automatically start a new section at the start of each lap. I might also add the ability for particular route points to trigger a new section as well.

At the moment the stats for each section are only viewable via the website, so you need to have the live tracking enabled - I've yet to work out a simple way of displaying the lap information on the phone. More to do...!

The heart-rate monitoring would be quite cool, but I think this could get a bit fiddly to implement (its hard enough trying to get the software working on different phones, let along introducing more hardware!!). Besides, MotionBased do this very well as it is.

Look out for a new version in the next few days...

Cheers,
Stephen

markpenders

21:57
Tuesday
9-Jan-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

You're absolutely right. It is a cool piece of software to begin with. Everything you program extra is .... well ... extra.

I'll check for the new version regularly.

Mark.

gpsnone

21:44
Thursday
12-Apr-2007

Hi,

if you are using a nokia S60, you might want to check out http://research.nokia.com/research/projects/SportsTracker/index.html#download

regards

markpenders

20:50
Sunday
15-Apr-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

@gpsnone: interesting app, I'm not sure whether it runs on a 6234, but I'm gonna try it anyway. Thanks for pointing out.

Mark.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)