Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / My location

Subject:My location 

Michael

12:19
Sunday
3-Sep-2006

Hi,

When I click 'Live' on the LHS it shows my location to be Regents park. This is not the case, I'm actually in Brixton. Please advise.

Thank you.

Stephen

12:34
Sunday
3-Sep-2006

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Michael,

The default 'Home' location is set on the Settings/Account page (you need to enter a decimal Latitude/Longitude). This will then be displayed on all maps if no other relevant data is available. (If no home location is set then it defaults to a point in London Zoo as you noticed!)

For the Live page to show your actual live location you need to set up MobiTrackPRO on your phone as detailed on the Settings/Device page. Once TMJ has received at least one live update from the phone, then this will be displayed instead of the default location.

Hope this makes sense!

Regards,
Stephen

Michael

17:16
Sunday
3-Sep-2006

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response. I have discovered that, using the little white hand, I can move the map to Brixton, did you realise this?.

The maps are amazing they must have taken you ages, I especially enjoy pressing the 'Satellite' button, well done!

Another quick question if I may. I have a friend in Birmingham, Les. He owns a fish and chip shop â??The Scrumpy Scampiâ??. I phoned Les around 10 minute ago and told him to stand outside his shop and wave at the sky. I then moved the map, with the little white hand, to his shop in Birmingham. However I couldnâ??t see him, Iâ??m certain I had the map at the correct location. Is there a time delay with the images broadcast from the satellites? Also could the government use this site to track my movements?

Thank you.

Stephen

18:10
Sunday
3-Sep-2006

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Michael,

Yes, all the maps can be dragged around.

I can't take any credit for them though - need to thank Google and Microsoft for that!! They both have their own mapping sites at http://maps.google.co.uk and http://local.live.com

However, they are not live in the sense that you are suggesting. And they're not even Satellite images (contrary to the link text on the Google map). They are simply photographs that have been taken over the last few years by special cameras mounted on aircraft, and then pasted together to form a seamless image. So unfortunately you wont be able to see Les, however much he waves at the sky! ;-)

The 'Live' bit on the website refers to using a GPS device and TMJ-Mobile on your mobile phone to send your live location to the site. It will then show up on the Live page as a moving 'blip'.

The site is fully password protected so other people (including the government) can only see your location if you allow them access (via the Invitations page or the Settings/Friends page).

Regards,
Stephen

Michael

19:52
Sunday
3-Sep-2006

Hi,

Thanks once more for your swift response, I must say this is a wonderful service. On most forums I post people just ignore me and on one particular site, The S club 7 fan site forum I've been banned for making, apparently, "inappropriate postings" a decision I wholehearted disagree with, I mean how was I to know she was only 12.

Anyway having spent more time viewing your website I'm a little embarrassed about my pervious questions. Obviously the maps aren't live I mean the cars aren't moving! Sorry for wasting your time. I'm due to get a new phone on my contract shortly (probably nokia 6080), I will make sure this is appropriate to use your service, I will then get a pgs device and tryout your site further.

Thanks.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)