Subject:functionality suggestion 

markpenders

21:18
Sunday
30-Jul-2006

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Stephen,

another suggestion. I have looking for a sort of "super" GPS and since march this year I had an eye on the Falcom Mambo (http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54460). One of its functionalities it geofencing. This could easily be done from TMJ as well.

What are your thoughts?

Mark.

Stephen

16:44
Sunday
6-Aug-2006

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

Yes, I guess some sort of geofencing could be implemented in the future - TrackMyJourney could send an automated email when a device enters or exits a predefined area.
What use did you have in mind for it?

Cheers,
Stephen

Franky

9:12
Thursday
21-Sep-2006

aloha,

i am franky from germany.
i bye this falcom mambo.
unfortunatly no support and no user documentation are included.

you have to bye the big evalkit to get all the support you need.

i wrote to the support a several times, so i received an user documentation to setup the mambo.
for noobs like me not a simple thing.

markpenders

21:15
Wednesday
18-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Stephen,

with the v0.5.2 just installed, the possibility of geofencing once again comes to mind. The intended use could e.g. be to send an SMS/e-mail once you enter/leave a certain area, or cross a certain line. Handy to inform the homefront automatically. Another way of using it would be to leave it in a car and have yourself warned once it moves out of a certain region. Or ... for some sort of gaming application?

Cheers,

Mark.

Stephen

18:25
Sunday
22-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

Yes, I've still got this in mind to do - it would be part of the website rather than TMJ-Mobile itself. Probably can't do SMS alerts though - too expensive!

Regards,
Stephen

markpenders

21:06
Sunday
22-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

But it is the user that pays for the SMS, isn't it? And instead of an SMS, an e-mail would do the trick as well!

Mark.

Stephen

8:31
Wednesday
25-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

Its true about the SMS costs, but the way I had in mind that it would work is it would run via the website rather than TMJ-Mobile. What I had in mind was as folows:

- User A assigns permission for User B to setup a 'fence' on his position.
- User B then defines the fence boundary location (probably just a circular area - Lat/Long/Radius).
- When User A then crosses over that boundary the website sends a notification e-mail to User B.

So the notification comes from the website rather than the phone, hence using e-mail rather than SMS. I think that to build this into TMJ-Mobile itself could get quite fiddly. Also, I don't think the phone would be able to automatically send the SMS anyway - it would always prompt for confirmation before sending the message, which kind of makes the whole 'hands-free' idea less possible.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Stephen

markpenders

20:36
Thursday
26-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Hi Stephen,

I guess that if you design it this way it will work and indeed cheaper than sending SMSs from the phone. A couple of thoughts:

- can I create a fence for myself?
- can I have an e-mail send to one or to more e-mail addresses?
- can multiple active fences be set up?
- can you predefine the text of the e-mail message, depending on the fence that is crossed?
- must user B have a "TMJ Mobile" capable device as well?

Cheers,

Mark.

Stephen

8:55
Friday
27-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

" can I create a fence for myself? "
Yes

" can I have an e-mail send to one or to more e-mail addresses? "
Initially the email will only be sent to the accounts registered email address. Because a geofence could potentially generate a large number of emails (each time the boundary is crossed), at the moment I'm wary of adding the ability to send to external 'unverified' addresses since there is no way of knowing whether the recipient wants to receive them or not.

" can multiple active fences be set up? "
Yes

" can you predefine the text of the e-mail message, depending on the fence that is crossed? "
Yes, though a 'disclaimer' will be automatically appended to the message

" must user B have a "TMJ Mobile" capable device as well? "
No, they just need to have registered a TMJ account on the website and be listed as a 'Friend' by user A. (User A also obviously has to remember to 'Enable Upload' on his device so that his location is sent to the website).

I've been working on this the last couple of days - I should have something ready in the next week or so...

Regards,
Stephen

markpenders

19:27
Friday
27-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Very cool indeed! Can't wait to test that, so if you need a tester ...

Cheers,

Mark.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)