Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / TMJ on a Blackberry Playbook?

Subject:TMJ on a Blackberry Playbook? 

ChrisM

15:29
Friday
21-Dec-2012

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting myself a cheap (less than £150) mini-tablet computer, and one of my options is the Blackberry Playbook. Just wondered if the Blackberry version of TMJ would run on this device? I can't really think of many practical uses as the Playbook only has WiFi and no mobile connectivity, but it might be fun if it works...?

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

13:46
Saturday
22-Dec-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately the Playbook can't run BlackBerry 6 or 7 apps so TMJ won't work on it. It instead runs BB10, BlackBerry's new OS which will also be used on their new handsets due in the new year.

I do therefore want to be able to support BB10 and have been investigating the new development tools for it, however at this stage I can't say if I'll ever be able to fully port TMJ, but the next couple of months are likely to be key, with the release of the new BB phones...

Cheers (and Merry Christmas!),
Stephen

ChrisM

19:59
Saturday
22-Dec-2012

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,
I'm not 100% certain I'm going to get the Playbook yet, I'm also looking at the Asus/Google Nexus7, but if I finish up with the Blackberry, maybe I could help with some testing, if you do go ahead with a port to BB10.

All the best (and Happy Christmas to you too!)

Chris.

Stephen

23:34
Saturday
22-Dec-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

The BB10 dev tools actually support several different environments - from low level C to Java, which is essentially just an Android JVM. So the likelihood is that anything I do come up with *should* also work on Android devices too...! In which case your Nexus etc choices would be just as valid! So don't let TMJ affect your decision (I'm personally hoping for a Nexus 7 myself, except that they seem to be out of stock!!)

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

12:11
Wednesday
16-Jan-2013

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,

Bit late now, but Happy New Year!

Did you get your Nexus 7? I just bought myself a Blackberry Playbook last weekend. £130.00! So far, I'm very pleased with it, especially for the price. Seems to be as capable as other tablets costing quite a bit more. The only real gripe is the lack of decent Apps, compared to Android or Apple devices...
...on the subject of which :o) Have you had any more thoughts on porting TMJ in this direction? The Playbook runs a different OS to the phones, though there are strong rumours that the new BB10 OS will be available for the Playbook sometime in the first half(?) of this year...
It can also run some Android apps, but they have to be 'converted' somehow. I haven't looked into this process much, but my understanding is that it is a fairly simple (there is a website that offers to do it automatically(??) process.

Given the size or the Playbook, compared to a phone, and the lack of built-in 3G (or any mobile connectivity apart from WiFi), it is not especially suited to rambling around with or cycling which is what I mostly use TMJ for, so I doubt I will use it much, but it might be fun to have TMJ running on the Playbook at some point.

Anyway, my offer to help out with some testing if you ever do decide to give it a go still stands.

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

21:07
Thursday
17-Jan-2013

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Happy New Year too!

Well done on getting the Playbook, they are quite a bargain now, and probably a shrewd purchase since as you say, BB10 should be released on it at some point giving it a complete makeover (I forgot in my previous message that the Playbook isn't yet running BB10 but an earlier version). I imagine it won't be too long after the initial BB10 release (which is on 30th Jan) to keep the BlackBerry momentum going, I'm only guessing though. That will also fix the lack of apps problem, since there are likely to be lots of Android-ported apps available on BB10 at release as well as loads of native ones.

I'm pleased with the Nexus, they finally came back in stock. I largely got it as a test Android device - yes, BB10 supports Android development, its a fairly simple process to repackage an Android app for BB10, not really an end-user job, but simple enough that existing Android developers could easily expand their market onto BlackBerry too. I've been writing a small Android-based app (not TMJ!) which I've now got running on both the Nexus and the BlackBerry Dev Alpha device (which I was given at a BB Developer event last year), so things are looking promising. Its still a massive job to port TMJ though so no news on that, and I'm very busy with the day job which doesnt help!

Thanks for the offer of testing though, I'll definitely give you a shout if I make any progress!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)