Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Map organizer - offline maps - MOBAC

Subject:Map organizer - offline maps - MOBAC 

envijion

16:43
Monday
6-Aug-2012

Hello Developers,

I am new to TMJ and quite impressed what it can do for me! I have some problems with loss of the GPS signal, but that is true for other apps as well and seems to be an issue of Blackberry 9900 with OS 7.X. I have tried to create offline maps with map organizer. To my understanding I need to create and export a map for each zoom level and then, maybe, join them to a sort of atlas. Prevoiously I worked with Mobile Atlas Creator (http://mobac.sf.net) which IMHO does the same but much more convenient. While I highly appreciate the possibility to import my own maps, may I suggest to modify MOBAC to export TMJ-files for OSM downloads? The application is available and free and quite comfortable.

Best regards, Joey

Stephen

19:04
Monday
6-Aug-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Joey,

Actually you can use MOBAC for TMJ already (yes, it is much more convenient to use than the Map Organizer)!!

Create a map and export it using the 'Mobile Trail Explorer' format. This will then create a hierachy of folders in z/c/r format (zoom level/column/row.png). Save this folder structure onto the phones memory card than select the root folder (the one with the zoom level numbers) in the TMJ Map Screen [6] context menu/Raster Map Source/Offline/Select z-c-r Folder...

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Stephen

(For the GPS problems you might experiment with the Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Force 1 Sec Refresh option. I had to add this for OS6 but I'm not sure if OS7 prefers it to be ticked or not... Restart TMJ after changing it then see how it goes...)

envijion

12:32
Tuesday
7-Aug-2012

Hi Stephen,

thanks a lot, this might help, the download is running! Maybe it would pay off to have the MOBAC developers create a specific TMJ-output-format. The output settings for 'Mobile Trail Explorer' seems to fix the tile size and does not allow reduction of color depth to 8 bit in order to reduce file size.
I am still experimenting with the GPS-problem. So far the 'force 1 sec refresh' option does not seem to have any influence.

Cheers, Joey

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)