Forums / General Topics / distance limit on route calculation

Subject:distance limit on route calculation 

jose1711

12:50
Thursday
22-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
bb, e51

what is the reason of having a distance limit for calculating a route when i can still create a very long route in computer using tmj webinterface, have it downloaded to cellphone and navigation seems to work correctly? is it because a user should better check whether the suggested route based on osm data is correct?

Stephen

14:37
Thursday
22-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jose,

The limit is there to try and prevent problems that might occur (moreso on older phones) from the route taking up too much memory on the phone. I figured not many people would be trying to drive more than 1500km in one go!!!

Routes created on the website then downloaded to the phone consist simply of a list of lat/lng coordinates, whereas the live routing also includes the turn directions and streetnames, which can take up quite a bit more space.

I could increase the 1500km limit, but is it really necessary - how far were you trying to go!!??

Cheers,
Stephen

jose1711

14:43
Thursday
22-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
bb, e51

hi stephen,

tbh i was only benchmarking the application. it's true that normally you'd take a flight on such a trip (unless you're a professional truck driver). thank you for explanation, jose

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)