Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / GPS Connection Notification Issue

Subject:GPS Connection Notification Issue 

MrTom

18:39
Saturday
17-Mar-2012

Hello, I seem to be having a bit of an issue with the GPS sound notifications and reconnection.
The User Guide indicates:
"GPS OPTIONS-BT/GPS Connection Sounds: When selected the phone will play a sound each time a Bluetooth GPS is connected/disconnected and each time the GPS signal becomes active/inactive."

* On the initial startup, TMJ automatically connects to my external Bluetooth GPS and I receive the notification sound.
 (sound level set to 100%)

* When the GPS connection is lost the blinking dot stops blinking BUT there is no sound notification.

* When the GPS connection is reestablished TMJ DOES NOT automatically reconnect.
 (In a test I waited 30 minutes to see if TMJ would reconnect)

* To reconnect I have to go to Main Menu>GPS>Bluetooth GPS>Search for BT-GPS and choose the GPS device that TMJ finds.

Phone: Blackberry Pearl 8120 OS 4.5
GPS:  External Freedom200 Keychain
TMJ Ver 0.8.0
SETTINGS:
GPS Device #3 Auto-Connect=TICKED
GPS Device #5 GPS OPTIONS-
#2 BT buffer: 64bytes
#3 BT sleep time: 50ms
#4 BT timeout: 10s
#6 BT/GPS Connection Sound= TICKED
With previous versions of TMJ I did receive the connect/disconnect/automatic reconnect sound notifications.
Any indication of what may be happening including user errors is welcome.
Thanks, Tom

Stephen

9:33
Monday
19-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Tom,

I've just done a quick test and yes the connection/disconnection sounds do seem to be a bit erratic, I don't remember changing anything related to this in recent versions but I'll have a look...

" When the GPS connection is reestablished TMJ DOES NOT automatically reconnect. "

I've unfortunately had to disable this feature in the BlackBerry version... A while back a BlackBerry firmware change altered the bluetooth connection behaviour so that whenever any bluetooth connection drops out the phone itself (not TMJ) insists on displaying a disconnection warning message.

The trouble is that the way that the automatic reconnection works in TMJ is by repeatedly (every few seconds) trying to connect to the GPS device in the hope that it is in range. This meant that the warning message would keep appearing, which quickly becomes very annoying!! On other phones (eg Sony Ericssons/Nokias) the disconnection happens silently so doesn't cause the problem. I'll update the user guide to reflect this...

" To reconnect I have to go to Main Menu>GPS>Bluetooth GPS>Search for BT-GPS and choose the GPS device that TMJ finds "

It *should* at least remember the recently connected bluetooth devices, they should be listed below the Search for BT-GPS menu option - makes reconnection a little quicker. Is this working for you?

Cheers,
Stephen

MrTom

18:19
Monday
19-Mar-2012

Stephen,
    Unfortunately when connection is lost there is no sound notification. That is one reason I had requested a larger GPS icon. Sometimes when connection is lost the GPS icon is not presented. In that case I can go to the TMJ GPS Device page and connect via the device list. At other times the GPS icon is shown but stops blinking. In that case the listed devices are grayed out and I have to use the search for BT-GPS option.

1) Would it be possible to send me links to the previous version of TMJ.
I know that previously there was a notification sound when the GPS was lost and there was an automatic reconnection and a notification. It worked great with my outdated BB 8120. I haven't seen any noticeable changes in the current version. My hiking partners have agreed that there is no problem with the sound notifications as they are impressed with the information available from TMJ . Would be nice if there was a vibrate option with the sound notifications <:-)

2) I have a backup GPS device paired to the phone and can give a unique name to each device. When TMJ connects it lists the actual name of each device which happens to be the same. It does not record the unique names I have in the phones BT listing. I have been unsuccessful in attempting to change the TMJ device names.
Do you know of any way I can give unique device names in the TMJ list?

Thanks again for the excellent support you provide,
Tom

Stephen

20:46
Monday
19-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Tom,

I think I've found the reason for the disconnection sound not playing, but oddly the code hadn't changed since 2010 so I'm not sure why it seemed to work in the previous version!! Anyhow, I'll test it a bit and it'll be in the next release, along with the GPS status icon. (I only maintain working versions of the current release so can't send you an older version - sorry)

I'll also add the vibration notification (probably just for 'unexpected' disconnections) - I'm not sure why I haven't added this already!

With the bluetooth device naming, yes, it'll only show the name that the device itself provides to TMJ (there is no BlackBerry-specific code in this bit, so I'd rather keep it as it is to allow compatibility on all phones). One thing that might help... the list is ordered by most-recent first, so even though the names are the same you may be able to tell which is which depending on the device that was last connected.

Cheers,
Stephen

MrTom

20:57
Monday
19-Mar-2012

Thanks, Sounds good to me. Like the addition of the vibrate feature <:-}
Cheers,
Tom

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)