Forums / General Topics / please improve audio recording

Subject:please improve audio recording 

jose1711

14:10
Thursday
12-Jan-2012

Phone Model:
bb, e51

hello, i am a longtime gpsmid user and osm contributor. while mapping i intensively use audiotagging feature. when i compare gpsmid's and TMJ's way of how this works, i find the earlier much more intuitive. let me explain.

where you want to do an audiostamp in gpsmid, you have to:
1. doubletap # (configurable)
2. an informational message is issued, map is still visible
3. speak to the mic
4. end recording with #

in contrast when using TMJ (on blackberry) you have to:
1. press shortcut (configurable)
2. map display is gone, instead somewhat unnecessary stopwatch appears
3. speak to the mic
4. press BB button, select stop recording
5. press BB button again, select done

i (as a mapper) would very much welcome one click recording/stop recording button with the map always displayed. is there a chance to have this behaviour changed?

thank you,

jose

Stephen

16:54
Thursday
12-Jan-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jose,

The shortcut button is *supposed* to work exactly as you describe, and seems fine on my BB 9800 (which I also use for OSM mapping). I use the space bar (keycode 32) as the shortcut key, which key have you mapped it to on yours?

Make sure that all the permissions for TMJ are set to 'Allow' (in BlackBerry Options/Advanced/Applications/TMJ etc), as this may have an effect.

One other possible problem might occur if you map the dedicated BlackBerry shortcut button (the Camera shutter button) to the audio recording and then also map it to some other BB function in the BB options - not recommended!

I'll look into the recording timer display, though I've got a feeling that I did this purposely to reduce overloading the phone with trying to handle the sometimes-complex map drawing and audio recording at the same time. This is probably not so relevant on more powerful recent phones, but might be a bit fiddly to add as a separate option, I'll see...

Any luck with the shortcut?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen

16:58
Thursday
12-Jan-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

" The shortcut button is *supposed* to work exactly as you describe "

To clarify... Press the Shortcut to Start Recording. Press it again to Stop recording and return to the map...!

jose1711

20:23
Thursday
12-Jan-2012

Phone Model:
bb, e51

hello stephen,

unfortunately i cannot do much regarding the permissions - i cannot see any 3rd party installed application in settings, most likely due to security policy (company phone). shortcut is set as follows:

shortcut 10 keycode: 117 (letter 'u')
action 10: record geotagged audio

pressing 'u' does start the recording (timer starts counting), but repeated keypress of 'u' is ignored. i have to use the bb buton and select either done or stop in order to stop the counter and recording.

thank you for checking it,

jose

Stephen

23:08
Thursday
12-Jan-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Aha, how strange! I've just tried changing my BB to use the 'u' key and it is doing exactly as you say, needing the BB menu to be used for stopping the recording. I'll have to look into it in more detail, hopefully its just a minor bug. I can't remember making the space bar a 'special' key, so its odd that it works differently. Does it make any difference on your phone if you switch from 'u' to 'space' (KC 32)?

jose1711

8:06
Friday
13-Jan-2012

Phone Model:
bb, e51

heh, funny.. setting the shortcut to space-key truly helps. problem solved :-) thanks for your support, jose

Stephen

20:47
Friday
13-Jan-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I'm glad the space bar shortcut has worked!

I've now found the bug, which essentially amounted to a typo in the code. Its fixed for the next release...

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)