Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Questions Regarding Vector Map Cache

Subject:Questions Regarding Vector Map Cache 

ChrisM

9:54
Tuesday
15-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,

Regarding using a folder on the memory card to cache vector map tiles, seems to be working fine, but I have a couple of queries:
1) It seems that every time I start-up TMJ on my phone, it reverts to the default cache location, and I have to change it to the memory card folder each time. Is this by design, or should my phone remember the memory card location between sessions, once I have changed it once?
2) Is there a way to check/change the cache location, once it has been changed from the default one? The only option seems to be to revert to the default location, and this seems to insist on deleting the memory card cache first.
3) Is there (should there?) be a way of reverting back to the default cache location without deleting the cache on the memory card? I guess if I just remove the card before starting TMJ up then this will happen automatically...

Thanks,

Chris.

Stephen

20:26
Tuesday
15-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure why its forgetting the cache folder location on each restart - it *should* remember this! (the location is stored internally the same way as all the other settings, so if they are all correctly preserved on restarting then this is a bit of a mystery!)

The memory card cache was originally an experimental feature, hence its location in the debug menu and also why it is a bit 'clunky' to set up/change - I should probably improve this since it is now a very useful feature (on compatible phones).

Ignore the warning about deleting the cache - the message itself is a bug! The memory card cache files are actually never ever deleted by TMJ (except if overwriting an existing file with a more recently downloaded one). I think you're probably getting this message if you have 'Settings/Confirm on Clear' ticked (I don't, so I've missed this bug previously!)

Therefore its safe to revert back to the default cache without affecting the memory card, and you can then select a different memory card folder again if necessary. (Fiddly I know, but a workaround until I improve the menus...!)

Cheers,
Stephen

(Incidentally, since TMJ never deletes any memory card cache files the folder can begin to get rather unwieldy so its worth checking it via a PC every few months to search/delete old files, especially if the memory card space becomes limited)

ChrisM

11:19
Wednesday
16-Mar-2011

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,

Thanks, that answers my questions. Regarding the cache location not being preserved between sessions, is there any way I can inspect the 'settings file' or send a copy to you, to try and work out why it is not working correctly.
As it goes, I'm not overly concerned, it only takes a few seconds to select the correct folder each time I need it, but if you want to try and troubleshoot the bug(?) I'll do what I can to help.

Cheers,

Chris.

MrTom

17:16
Wednesday
16-Mar-2011

FYI: Caching to memory card functions correctly on a Blackberry Pearl 8120

Stephen

10:18
Friday
18-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Guys,

Chris, yes it might be useful if you could email me the exported Settings file, at least to see if the folder path is successfully making it into this - if it is then the problem would seem to be more related to TMJ starting up and loading the settings, rather than shutting down and saving them...

Thanks,
Stephen

ChrisM

11:05
Monday
21-Mar-2011

Phone Model:

No problem.

Could you just let me know which file the settings are saved in, to make sure I send you the right one.

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

15:51
Monday
21-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

The internal settings file isn't usually accessible but just use the Menu/Settings/Debug/Save Settings to Backup File function - save it anywhere then transfer it to your PC and email from there...

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

19:50
Sunday
1-May-2011

Phone Model:

Hi,

Just an update on the cache folder not being preserved from one time to the next...
It seems to have resolved itself. Nothing I (knowingly) did, but just started to work a week or two ago, and I haven't had any problems with this since.

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

21:33
Sunday
1-May-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Jolly good - just one of those things, I guess!

shchenka

5:58
Friday
10-Jun-2011

Hi,
Is there a limit to the number of tiles stored in the cache on a memory card ?
At certain point tmjm refuses to load/store any more tiles, I wonder if this is the application or file system limit or something else ...

Stephen

18:20
Friday
10-Jun-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Shchenka,

There is no limit imposed by TMJ so it is probably a filesystem limitation as you suggest, or it could be a bad block on the card. Use the phones 'Repair Media Card' function if it has one, or else connect the card to a PC as a mass storage device, then right-click/Properties/Tools/Error-Checking/Check Now, which might be able to fix any errors. Also worth doing a defrag at the same time (won't have a massive impact on the small TMJ files, but might clean up any other larger files on the card improving read/write speed).
It this still doesn't help then you could do a search for older TMJ cache files and delete them first in order to free up space...

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)