Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Touchscreen navigation

Subject:Touchscreen navigation 

shchenka

11:53
Saturday
20-Nov-2010

Hi, I'm just starting to play with the touchscreen on my SE Vivaz. All the hidden bottons are cool once you learn where to expect them. I feel it will take some time to get used to, though. However I'm not able to figure out one thing - how do I navigate left/right in the waypoints screen (to select next/previous waypoints group) ? Or maybe I can even somehow select an active waypoints group with a single tap ? I've searched through the forum but could not find the hints i need ...

Stephen

15:24
Sunday
21-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Shchenka,

Touch and Drag the waypoints screen Left and Right to switch between groups.

Incidentally I'd say this screen is probably the fiddliest one to use via the touchscreen, I could do with improving it somewhat, as the buttons around the edge can get in the way when selecting a waypoint. Also, I've found the waypoint items can be a bit small to easily select with a finger, I should probably link their size to the Menu Font Size option...

Cheers,
Stephen

shchenka

18:00
Sunday
21-Nov-2010

Indeed, touch and drag was my first intuition for that, not sure why it seemed not to work before, perhaps I just lacked some confidence ;)

One more problem that i see with that is when you have more (like a thousand) waypoints in a group then it takes a second to sort/display them in the waypoints screen, even though the vivaz has a rather fast cpu. The result is that switching between waypoint groups with a touchscreen is not that smooth, as it has to display all the groups you're passing through, so you're never quite sure where your touch and drag operation will lead you. Or you need to do this very slowly and carefully. I wonder if this could be optimized for touch phones. Not sure if I made it clear enough ?

Cheers.

Stephen

20:52
Monday
22-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yes, I know what you mean - currently the individual waypoint groups are sorted (alphabetically or by distance) each time the displayed group changes, so when dragging past a large group this will slow things down somewhat.

I've now changed the code for the next version so that the sorting is only done when the touchscreen is released, which seems to have done the job...!

shchenka

5:39
Tuesday
23-Nov-2010

This should do. Thanks a lot!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)