Tuesday
2-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Summary

TMJ should work well on all JP8-based phones...

Stephen

22:12
Friday
5-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Phone Model: Sony Ericsson W910i
Phone Firmware Version: R1FA036
TMJ Version Number and Build: 0.7.5 (JP8)
Mobile Operator: Vodafone PAYG
GPS Type: GlobalTop touch G66 and GlobalSat BT-359

This was my main TMJ development/test phone for some time so it should run pretty well on this platform! The W910i has several extra 'media' buttons that can usefully be mapped as shortcuts keys (eg New Waypoint, Backlight On/Off, etc). When downloading map tiles the phone can occasionally stutter for a few seconds, this may be due to a slow memory-card write-speed (when caching the tiles) or simply the web functions hogging resources - not a major problem anyhow!
Though I now use my BlackBerry as an everyday phone I still find the W910 useful for OSM mapping - its easier to add waypoints one-handed whilst walking with this phone rather than the BlackBerry's full keypad - fewer incidents of walking into lamp-posts!!

shchenka

9:52
Saturday
20-Nov-2010

Phone Model: Sony Ericsson U5i Vivaz
Phone Firmware Version: R2CA024
TMJ Version Number and Build: 0.7.5 (JP8+GPS)
Mobile Operator: Orange
GPS Type: ?

Seems to work fine. Still have to find my way around with no numeric keys (touchscreen only). The battery on this phone is quite small so I expect problems here.

shchenka

18:11
Sunday
21-Nov-2010

And indeed, after a field test, SE Vivaz almost a perfect phone for TMJ-mobile (small size, large touchscreen, adequate memory, fast CPU) but ... the battery lasts only a couple hours (on the internal GPS, using a BT module could help some but I don't expect very much). Another problem may be that replacing a battery with a spare is quite clumsy in this phone due to its lid construction. So, in practice, not as beautiful as it could be :(

shchenka

9:52
Sunday
1-May-2011

Some more comments on SE Vivaz - after some more use it's not that bad after all. I especially appreciate the touchscreen features of TMJ.
Have to ignore the built-in GPS and use the BT module only, not only better accuracy, faster startup but also a significant difference in the battery life.

For a longe outdoors without a car, take spare battery or two, or an external battery pack. It's a pity the internal GPS is so useless.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)