Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / No GPS communication

Subject:No GPS communication 

cnotz

19:23
Monday
20-Sep-2010

Hi Stephen,

I would like to first thank you for this fantastic piece of software. I have found it a pleasure to use and it has offered me everything I could ask for and more!

I have, since upgrading to the full version, been having trouble with the GPS integration. TMJ appears to recognise that the Internal GPS is active but is not receiving the data.

I am currently using a Blackberry Curve however I would Usually be using a Blackberry Storm with which I am experiencing the very same problem.

The version of TMJ that I have installed is 0.7.5

The log file reads
GPSX Unavailable - trying next... (X = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
No GPS provider available

It seems that the program is only updating my position by CellID and even this is a rare occasion.

My GPS Settings are
Internal GPS Active     
Allow Costs (Assisted-GPS)  X
Basic Connection      
Override GPS Time
Use Speed/Bearing from GPS
Use Extra Altitude Smoothing X

Any direction for where I may be going wrong with this would be great. I have been playing with all sorts to try and get this working again as I really do like the program but don't seem to be getting any nearer to recording any tracks.

Carl

cnotz

20:31
Monday
20-Sep-2010

Since doing some research online I have found that this will not work on the Curve 8520. It does't have an internal GPS receiver ;)

Looks like I will have to wait for my Storm to come back from the shop for now then try and figure out why it won't work on there. That definately has GPS.

Stephen

20:23
Tuesday
21-Sep-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Carl,

Aha, that would certainly explain the issue on the 8520 then!!

Your settings look to be correct (they match what I use on my 8900). It'd be worth checking that the Storm's firmware is up-to-date, also the odd full reboot might help if the GPS seems to have given up. (LeftAlt+RightShift+Del is a shortcut for this on keyboarded BlackBerrys, though on the Storm you might need to switch off and remove the battery temporarily for the same effect).

I'd also definitely suggest using an external bluetooth GPS (this is the only option on the 8520, but even on the Storm too) - these are generally more accurate and give better battery life without draining the phone battery...

Cheers,
Stephen

cnotz

21:37
Tuesday
21-Sep-2010

Hi Stephen,

The Curve is my Courtesy phone while the Storm is being repaired following a small mishap so I am not too worried about that right now.

I believe that there was an update available for the Storm when I connected it last week although it was only updated about a month or so ago so should have a fairly recent firmware level. I'll definately start there when it is returned to me.

With regard to the external GPS receiver what should I be looking for exactly? Could you recomend a unit?

Carl

Stephen

19:23
Wednesday
22-Sep-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Carl,

I'm not sure theres a huge amount to compare between BT receivers - they generally all use one of a small number of GPS chip types, which have varying characteristics.

I use a 'GlobalTop Touch G66' which was around GBP25 when I bought it, although it doesn't seem to be available any longer (annoying since I'd quite like to get another one - the battery life is not so good as it was when new a couple of years ago, and cannot be changed). I also use a 'GlobalSat BT-359' when the battery runs out on the other one.

An Amazon or eBay search for 'bluetooth GPS receiver' gives quite a large choice. Frankly I'd just pick one at random in the GBP20-30 price bracket - these should all be better than the phones built-in GPS*.

Cheers,
Stephen

(* the exception being that the phone does have the advantage of 'assisted-GPS' whereby it can download initial satellite info from the internet, speeding up the time to the first fix. Expect an external device to take a bit longer to do this, especially when moving, but I've not found it a particular problem myself)

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)