macpanda

17:08
Saturday
13-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson C905

Hi Stephen

If I start TMJ without Web access I have no waypoints - even the "temp waypoint" stored with the hotkey thingy. If I start TMJ with web access, I have those waypoints as stored online, but if I've changed the location of the temp one (e.g. stored the location for the car) and TMJ gets closed and opened again (or closes itself), I've lost the car- which will prove costly eventually.

Any ideas? I can't afford to keep replacing lost cars ;-)

Paul

Stephen

19:48
Monday
15-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Paul,

Sorry about the delay in responding... Must admit I'm rather stumped by this one!

- by "start TMJ with/without Web access" are you referring to the Menu/Web/Enable Web at Startup option, or are you manually enabling the web (and then the waypoints appear again)? Or are you running the Waypoint Sync/Update Waypoints Now function to download the website ones again? (If not the latter then I'm definitely confused why the web functions should have any effect on the waypoint storage - the standard Enable Web bits aren't *supposed* to automatically download the waypoints!?)

- After running the Waypoint Sync/Update Waypoints Now function do you get any errors in the Event Log. (Check the log after the syncing has completed, then again after 5 minutes or so, as the waypoints might not be saved to the recordstore immediately). Also, do you have any errors listed at startup? I'm guessing that the phone might not be saving the waypoints to the recordstore correctly for some reason. (I assume the phone has plenty of free memory, not that it should need much for this). After giving it 5 minutes, exit (using Menu/Exit), then wait a few seconds before restarting. Does this consistently result in empty waypoints at the start?

- What setting are you using for the relevant waypoint groups in the Web/Waypoint Sync menu (ie Sync All, Upload Only, No Sync, <#km, etc)?

- Is this the C905 or the N95? Does the other phone work correctly (if you're able to check this)?

Cheers,
Stephen

BTW, if you have Web/Waypoint Sync/Upload Automatically ticked (and Enable Web currently activated) then after setting the temp waypoint/car location this *should* upload to the website at the next transmission. (Don't rely on this - but it might help to not lose the car entirely ;-)

macpanda

21:52
Monday
15-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson C905

Thanks for the reply.

It's the C905 - it's the one I use most.

The Car always gets reset to a point that I saved a while ago, whenever I restart TMJ. I haven't ticked Upload Automatically, but will do this as it seems sensible.

Actually, I think I had to resynch the waypoints to get them back - TMJ had crashed, which was probably down to the phone running out of memory (I have a profile that records trackpoints (to GPX) every metre that I use for mapping, but it's a while since I cleared the track, and I have the trackpoints set to whatever the maximum is - I seem to recall having done a similar stupid thing with waypoint proximity a fair while ago). Anyway, as I recall I had to disable/enable upload as it didn't prompt for allowing the internet connection as it usually does, which is where I made the link.

I think the outcome of this whole ramble is that
a, TMJ crashed, that cause the waypoints to disappear
b, Upload Automatically will cause the temp waypoint to not be so easily forgotten
c, I'll tie a balloon to the aerial, just to be sure

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)