Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Gauges Not Working

Subject:Gauges Not Working 

flotterh

12:33
Wednesday
10-Mar-2010

I've installed TMJ-Mobile on my Blackberry and input the device code and password. I have an internal gps in the phone, and as far as I can tell TMJ is properly conneted to it. It does give me a current lat/long for my position.

However, the only gauge that works accurately is the clock. The compass and bearing dials, for example, jump from point to point north, south, east and west, even though I am sitting still in a chair. The altimeter shows me changing elevations even though I'm not.

How do I correct this?

Thanks.

ChrisM

12:55
Wednesday
10-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,

You'll probably get a reply from Stephen (the author of TMJ) soon, but in the meantime, I'll let you know my experiences with what you said.
First of all, the internal GPS receivers in any phone tend to be fairly insensitive. You will almost get better results if you buy an external Bluetooth GPS receiver. They cost from about 20-30 quid, and in my opinion are a worthy investment, even if your phone has an internal receiver.

Secondly, you say 'sitting in a chair'. Are you indoors? As no GPS system will work very well unless you are outside.

As I understand it the compass and bearing dials will not work if you are standing (or sitting) still, as the GPS/TMJ has no way of knowing which direction you are facing unless you are actually moving. I would guess the elevation should work, even if you are stationary, but see me previous points about getting an accurate GPS fix.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Chris.

flotterh

13:01
Wednesday
10-Mar-2010

Thanks. I'm wondering whether perhaps T-Mobile doesn't support this application. I've also noticed that what is happening is that every time the clock second hand ticks, all of the other gauges change -- randomly and wildly. Something is clearly out of sync.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Stephen

13:38
Wednesday
10-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi there,

Although there is a chance that some providers may block the use of the GPS by third-party apps like TMJ, it doesn't sound like this is the case here as the GPS is clearly giving *some* data - does the Text/POSITION screen (press [1] a few times to access it) give a reasonable latitude and longitude for your location? If so then it should work okay when moving.

As Chris says, many of the gauges are based on 'derived' data which is only reliable when moving and with a good GPS signal (so don't test it stationary indoors!). I'd definitely suggest going for a walk or cycle and see if it improves - it should do!

By the way, the internal GPS (usually) updates it location once a second, and as TMJ also redraws the screen once a second, this should explain why the gauges are appearing to fluctuate at the same time.

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

flotterh

22:25
Wednesday
10-Mar-2010

Still not working.

I tried uninstalling the program I downloaded from Blackberry Apps yesterday and downloading the program from your website. After installing the program, I was unable to get any GPS coordinates, and none of the gauges worked (except the clock). I have other GPS programs on my Blackberry, and they are working fine.

So, I uninstalled that program and went back to Blackberry Apps on my Blackberry, thinking that at least I got some GPS coordinates from that version. The TMJ-Mobile program is no longer in Blackberry Apps (as it exists on my Blackberry)! So I went to the Blackberry Apps website and sent myself a link to TMJ-Mobile. When I opened the link, there was no download button. Instead, it gave me a message saying that TMJ-Mobile is not compatible with my mobile device (Blackberry Curve 8900) or carrier (T-Mobile).

I'm stumped!

Stephen

23:14
Wednesday
10-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Bit confused myself too!! Could you try the following please:

- Reboot the phone (BB8900 shortcut to do this is LeftAlt + RightShift + Del).

- Install the version from this website again.

- Stand outside somewhere with a clear view of the sky.

- Start TMJ and use the Menu/GPS/Connect Int.GPS function to activate the internal GPS.

- Monitor the Latitude/Longitude fields on the Text/POSITION page and also the GPS Status field on the Text/GENERAL page. Give it up to 5 minutes to get a fix (the initial phone reboot might increase the delay but ensures that it starts 'from scratch').

If the Lat/Long field does get a fix then walk up the street and monitor the gauges. The GPS Status field should also show an incrementing number (after the # symbol) confirming that the phone hardware is supplying TMJ with GPS info, and if so then the plan page [4] should should a track of your walk.

Also, see these notes for more detailed troubleshooting steps.

Any luck?

flotterh

15:08
Thursday
11-Mar-2010

Voila'! It's working beautifully. Thanks for the clear instructions.

Take care.

Stephen

17:50
Thursday
11-Mar-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

No worries - glad it worked!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)