Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Blackberry 8320 GPS problems

Subject:Blackberry 8320 GPS problems 

softail

13:37
Monday
14-Dec-2009

Can anyone help me? I cannot get TMJ to connect to my internal GPS. It repeatedly advises me that "Int GPS Signal Invalid". I have read other posts, and tried changing the limited (only 2) options on my phone relating to GPS, and neither has worked. I have no other GPS programs on my phone, and am not sure if its possible to "diagnose" my GPS status.

Apologies if this is a basic problem, i am reasonably techy, but cannot get my head around this. I dont have a seperate GPS device i can try, and all i want to do is track my mountainbike routes. This software seems excellent, my friend has a BB Curve and it works just fine, even to the extent that he managed to connect the GPS within seconds and indoors!

I am starting to think that maybe the problem is that my handset is not compatible. I have today off, and would love to get this working, any ideas??

Many thanks, especially to Steven, who has obviously put a lot of time and effort into this, and still is prepared to allow people a free version. Many thanks. If i can get it working i will probably uprgrade to the full version, but i need to see it in action first.

Stephen

14:33
Monday
14-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Glad you like the look of TMJ!

Odd question, but are you sure your phone does actually have a built-in GPS device? I may be mistaken but I think the 8300 series have various combinations of WiFi and GPS, and I suspect the 8820 is the Wifi version...?

Are you able to obtain a fix using the BlackBerry Options/Advanced Options/GPS/Refresh GPS function? (Incidentally, all BlackBerrys run pretty much the same software, so should all have the GPS menu item, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they have the GPS hardware as well)

If not, then you should still be able to use an external bluetooth device (I'm assuming the phone does have bluetooth - I think this is pretty standard on BlackBerrys). In fact for mountain biking I would definitely recommend this anyway, since the built-in GPS signal can be rather patchy if cycling under heavy tree-cover. They are not too expensive - check out this Amazon Search for example devices...

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

softail

14:41
Monday
14-Dec-2009

My inexperience has been found out. I think you are correct, the 8320 doesn't have GPS, while the 8310 does. I have an old TOM TOM bluetooth GPS device, that worked with an old microsoft smartphone, i will give that a go. If not, i will use the link for the amazon search (which was very good of you to include)

Many thanks Stephen,

you are a gent and a scholar.

Stephen

17:39
Monday
14-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Wow, high praise indeed!! :-)

The TomTom GPS should work fine (if it is a very old model the location fix might not be spectacularly accurate, but it should at least allow you see TMJ working!)

Use the TMJ Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Switch to Bluetooth GPS and then Menu/GPS/Bluetooth GPS/Search... to connect to the GPS...

Cheers!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)