Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Premature termination of data logging to the memor...

Subject:Premature termination of data logging to the memory card 

sunwind

4:42
Thursday
3-Dec-2009

I've been trying to record my tracks on the memory card of my Blackberry 8830. The first few times it worked fine but I've had problems the last 7 or 8 attempts. I now end up with just a small number of track points recorded (less than 5 minutes of data).

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Stephen

11:52
Thursday
3-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Not too sure about this one - haven't had any problems on my 8900, but here are a few ideas:

- Obvious question: does the memory card have plenty of free space available!?

- Are any other apps running in the background that might occasionally access the memory card. (Try running TMJ on its own, after a fresh reboot)

- Do you have any errors listed in the TMJ log (Menu/Settings/Debug/View Event Log) that look to be related to this (possibly any 'IOException' or 'FileConnection' errors)?

- Check the memory card for file system errors: Connect the BB to your PC in Mass Storage mode. Right-click on the memory cards drive letter and select Properties -> Tools -> Error checking: Check Now...

- Is TMJ otherwise recording the track okay? Which GPS Log Type have you selected?

Any help?

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

15:23
Thursday
3-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Probably a stupid question, but are you running the full version or the free version of TMJ? If its the free version, you can only record a limited number of points... are you simply running out of track-points?

Stephen

19:43
Thursday
3-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Good idea, but this *shouldn't* be an issue - the GPS logging isn't limited in the free version (or at least its not supposed to be, unless there is a bug!).

Certainly the Raw GPX log should still work as this simply logs every location event received from the GPS device (either internal or bluetooth).

Cheers,
Stephen

ZJGuy

16:25
Friday
4-Dec-2009

Not limited in the free version?

Are you sure? ;)

I thought its a maximum of 100 trackpoints you can store on you memcard ...

Stephen

23:48
Friday
4-Dec-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I think maybe I need to clarify this (and will update the 'Upgrade Info' page later)...

The *Full* track recording is limited to 100 trackpoints that will be stored, displayed, included in stats calculations, and sent to the website. ie, anything that is displayed within TMJ-Mobile itself.

However, basic logging of the raw GPS data *direct* to a GPX/NMEA/CSV file on the memory card via the GPS/GPS Logging menu (eg for use in tracing for OpenStreetMap or importing into other applications) isn't limited at all (or at least isn't intended to be limited, notwithstanding any bugs!).

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding!

Cheers,
Stephen 

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)