Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Small problem with polish characters in vector map...

Subject:Small problem with polish characters in vector maps 

wajak

20:24
Saturday
15-Aug-2009

Hi Stephen,

I've been using TMJ for a couple of months. Now, when I upgraded to full version I noticed that TMJ has problem with polish characters in vector tiles:
There is  sign in place of two last letters in a name of POI or street when one of the polish characters is next to last in that name.
For example: KOMOR should be KOMORÓW etc.

Adam

Stephen

21:33
Saturday
15-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Adam,

Could you give a couple more examples - I've searched for Komorow (not sure how to do the accent on my keyboard here!) and have found this one, which seems to display fine on the Vector Maps on my phones - is it a different place that you're talking about?

There is a chance that *some* phones might not be able to display the full 'unicode' alphabet, though it would be odd if this is the case with your phone, assuming that it was designed for the Polish market. (Which phone is it, by the way?)

Thanks,
Stephen

wajak

19:43
Wednesday
19-Aug-2009

Hi,
Today I took a ride and checked it again. I confirm that the problem occurs when the polish character is next to last. I found a couple names of towns near Warsaw:
Wieruchów, Kwirynów and my home town Piastów :)

I don't think that that it is problem with my phone because it display ok when ó is in somewhere else, for example: name of street: Józefa.

My phone: SE k800i - bought in Poland.

Adam

Stephen

22:47
Thursday
20-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Adam,

Yes, there is something odd happening - I tried a friends K800i today with a similar result, but so far that is the only phone that I've been able to recreate the problem with. It must be something to do with the phones Unicode text encoding, but as it only seems to affect the K800, I'm not sure if theres anything I can do about it in TMJ.

Incidentally, my friends phone didn't give any strange characters, but simply removed the last letter, so Piastów was displayed as Piastó (but still with the correct ó symbol). Is this what you get yourself with that name (that was the only place I was able to try - didn't have the phone for long!)

I wonder, does anyone else have similar issues with Unicode characters?

Cheers,
Stephen

wajak

20:04
Friday
21-Aug-2009

" so Piastów was displayed as Piastó (but still with the correct ó symbol). Is this what you get yourself with that name "

No, I always have  at the end. Another, funny example: name of a street: Jagiełły - displays as - Jagieł :)

Thanks anyway, despite this problem TMJ is very useful for me :)

shchenka

7:55
Tuesday
25-Aug-2009

Did this problem occur with the previous versions of TMJ or is it something new ?

wajak

9:50
Tuesday
25-Aug-2009

I don't know because I didn't have access to vector maps earlier. But everywhere else, for example in the list of waypoints characters are displayed correctly.

Stephen

12:28
Wednesday
26-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

This may not help much, but you could try the following:

- scroll to a street or POI on the vector map (screen [4]) that gives the odd UTF behaviour.
- select Context Menu/Item Name/Convert to Waypoint. This should create a new waypoint with the same name.
- on the Waypoints page does this new waypoint display strangely as well?
- try Waypoint menu/Edit Waypoint/Edit Name. Is there anything odd in the edit box display?
- try exporting the Waypoint group to a GPX file (File Menu/Export Waypoints/Export to GPX). Open the GPX in Notepad and see if the characters are still corrupted.

Cheers,
Stephen

wajak

19:05
Wednesday
26-Aug-2009

So, I ran the test:

" - on the Waypoints page does this new waypoint display strangely as well? "
yes, it displays in the same way

" - try Waypoint menu/Edit Waypoint/Edit Name. Is there anything odd in the edit box display? "
yes, I see  at the end

" - try exporting the Waypoint group to a GPX file (File Menu/Export Waypoints/Export to GPX). Open the GPX in Notepad and see if the characters are still corrupted. "
example: Archanioᅤ
encoding of this gpx file is ISO-8859-1, maybe it should be UTF-8, but I'm not an expert at encodings ;)

Thanks for your help

Stephen

19:36
Wednesday
26-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

" encoding of this gpx file is ISO-8859-1 "

I think you've actually just found a separate minor bug (not related to the display problem though). Just noticed the GPX export will always read ISO-8859-1, even though it should be UTF-8 (as long as you've got Menu/File/Use Unicode ticked). Have fixed this for the next version...

I suspect that the display bug is with the phone, when it converts the binary map data file into text. Not a lot I can do about this, but will keep it on my bug list!

Cheers,
Stephen

shchenka

15:28
Saturday
5-Sep-2009

Just checked and "Piastów" displays correctly on my N95, so indeed, chances are that this is phone-related.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)