Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Blackberry GPS not working

Subject:Blackberry GPS not working 

agleave

18:58
Wednesday
12-Aug-2009

Hi, i have been using TMJ on a Nokia N95 and Blackberry 8300 for quite a while now but agies ago when i did a firmware upgrade on my Blackberry the bluetooth GPS stopped working, not just for TMJ but for any GPS app on the phone. The bluetooth GPS is working fine with the Nokia N95 and but not with the Blackberry.

I know this is not down to your program but was wondering if you had any ideas on what I could try to get it working. The only way i can get it to work is to delete the paired BT GPS from the Blackberry, load up TMJ, let it search for the GPS and press connect. But once the Blackberry is turned on and off it won't connect again so i have to delete the pairing.

On an unrelated topic I have just brought the full version of TMJ and got it running perfectly on my N95, will there be any problems with me also installing the full version on my Blackberry as well?

Thank you for the great program and letting us use it free for the past couple of years.

Stephen

9:25
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

I'm not 100% on this but I'm wondering whether the phones own GPS settings might be interfering with the bluetooth device.

All (recent) BlackBerrys have the 'ability' to supply GPS information to any applications running on them, irrespective of whether they actually have an internal GPS device or not. If they dont have an internal device then they can be set to automatically use a bluetooth device instead. So I'm wondering if perhaps the phone itself is trying to connect to the GPS, at the same time that TMJ is trying the same thing...?

Have a look in the phones Options/Advanced Options/GPS (assuming yours is similar to my 8900). Is your GPS device listed under 'GPS Data Source'? If so, try removing it from here (is there a 'none' or 'off' option - mine doesn't have this, strangely), and perhaps also set 'GPS Services' to Location Off.

Another alternative method to this is to allow the phone to handle the GPS connection (so leave the device listed in the GPS Data Source box), by setting TMJ to use the 'Internal GPS' instead of the Bluetooth one (set in TMJ/Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Switch to Internal GPS). TMJ will then ask the phone for its location, and the phone should handle the bluetooth connection with the GPS Device.

Not sure if any of this will help, but give it a go!

As for running the two phones with the one device code, as long as they are not both used at the same time this shouldn't cause a problem, but I've now created a second device under your account (look in MY ACCOUNT/SETTINGS/Devices), so you can now keep the two separate...

Cheers,
Stephen

agleave

9:36
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Hi, yes I have tried all those options but with no success, I have a feeling something went corrupt during a firmware upgrade. Luckily I am due for an upgrade in September so will be getting the new 8900 soon so i will just wait for that.

Thanks for adding a second device to my account.

Andrew

Stephen

10:24
Thursday
13-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Andrew,

No problem, sorry it didn't help.
Good luck with the 8900 - I've been very impressed with mine!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)