Thursday
10-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

v0.6.0 Released

This version contains a number of extra small features and bug fixes.

Changes

- New option on various screens to Send Location/Waypoint by SMS

- Added new Speed unit options: Metres per Second (m/s) and Minutes per km (shown as mm:ss /km)

- Plan/Map/Nav View menu option to 'Hide Clutter when Scrolling'.

- Route Page 'Edit routepoint' context menu option

- Can now add waypoint by directly entering lat/lng.

- Exact display Scale now given on Plan/Map pages (eg 1:25000 etc). This needs the phones physical screen height to be entered into Settings to work correctly

- Distance to Selected Waypoint from highlighted waypoint now shown on Waypoints page. (Allows the distance to be measured between two arbitrary waypoints)

- Text/TRACK page shows stats for Calories used Walking, Cycling & Running

- Improved waypoint display on Plan/Map pages - if 'Waypoint Names' are hidden, then scrolling around highlights the name of the nearest waypoint to the centre of the screen. Context menu then allows direct selection of that waypoint.

- New Main Menu/Display option to define what action the 0 (zero) key performs, eg Display Main Menu (original behaviour), Create New Waypoint, Pause Track Recording, etc.

- Main Menu/GPS option to Pause Track Recording, plus an 'Auto-Unpause' function which begins recording again after a certain distance has been reached (defined in Settings).

- Settings option to split Route page vertically (new default is now horizontally split - looks better on portrait screens)

- Settings option to display current location of Sun and its path across the sky (the ecliptic) on the Gauges page. Can be used as a simple 'sundial-in-reverse' to find the direction of true north when stationary (normal GPS only allows compass points to be estimated from direction of travel).

- Settings option to 'Apply Extra Altitude Smoothing', reducing the 'spikiness' of the altitude graph.

- New GPS Logging option 'Raw GPX File' - generates a GPX file of the unfiltered data from the GPS device.

- File/Export Waypoints to OSM format allows waypoints to be opened directly for editing in JOSM for upload to OpenStreetMap

- Creating a new waypoint from Plan/Nav/Map page now allows the waypoint type to be defined at the point of creation

- Waypoint types now sorted by name

- Fixed bug whereby the Waypoints Context Menu was inaccessible when no Waypoints were being displayed in the list.

- Some long menus (eg Waypoint types) now accept 'multi-tap' alphabetic key entry (ie, key3 = D, key6 twice = N, etc) indicated by the letters 'Abc' at the top of the menu.

- Settings option 'Larger Selection Box' increases the distance from the centre of the screen for displaying Waypoint names.

- Settings option to prompt for Confirmation when Clearing the Track/Route etc to prevent accidental usage

BlackBerry Specific...
- Blackberry 'menu' key can now be used as a shortcut for displaying the Main menu and Context menu.

- Fixed BlackBerry bug whereby the APN Settings weren't being saved properly between restarts.

- (Hopefully) fixed weird effect due to a BlackBerry bug whereby some icons were being drawn in the wrong position on screen.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

10:53
Thursday
10-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen, the Download page:
www.trackmyjourney.co.uk/mobile

Seems to be broken (missing?)

Or maybe I'm being too keen, and you're still in the process of updating things...?

Stephen

11:44
Thursday
10-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

That's strange - it seems okay from here. Maybe it was a temporary server glitch - is it accessible now?

shchenka

20:24
Thursday
10-Jul-2008

Works fine for me.

sentinal

21:17
Thursday
10-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
-

Downloaded W810i Jad / Jar fine. I've just eaten a nice big pizza ready for testing tomorrow. I need to keep moving till I hit a 1000 calories 8-)

The extra altitude smoothing sound good.

Thanks,

David.

sentinal

22:05
Thursday
10-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
-

Hi Stephen,

I think the Screen Height (mm), User Weight (kg) fields are linked.

Entering
Screen Height (mm) 37
User Weight (kg) 74

Once the setting screen is saved, returning to the setting displays:-

Screen Height (mm) 37
User Weight (kg) 37

My phone is a SE 810i

Cheers

David.

Stephen

7:40
Friday
11-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Doh! - theres always something that I miss, thanks! Its fixed now, so you'll need to download it again...

Lucky you spotted this - at 37kg it would take a marathon to burn off that pizza!! ;-)

sentinal

12:14
Friday
11-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
-

No need to Doh Stephen, you created a mobile phone killer app.

I really like the way the calorie information still works with previously recorded tracks. The Location of the sun on the bearing map is a very usefull addition.

Cheer again,

David.

radoo

10:34
Saturday
12-Jul-2008

Hey all,
I'm glad we have a new version, but it doesn't start up. it hangs on loading properties. the upper loading bar is still yellow, and the lower one is a bit blue... it never starts up. I use java IBM J9. does anybode have the same issue? I tried to uninstall the older version, restart the phone, then install the new version, and it's all the same.
HTC TyTn II + java IBM J9
Thanks. Rado

Stephen

11:54
Saturday
12-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Rado,

I've just tested the new version with J9 on my Dell Axim X30 and it seems to run fine - since we're both running the same JVM I'd have thought it would run the same on yours.

I have noticed a couple of slightly odd things when starting up, sometimes TMJ doesn't get the 'focus' and I have to switch to a different application and then back again in order to get the screen up, after that its fine. I've also noticed occasionally (on a Blackberry phone) that when the progress bars are initially running on the splash screen it sometimes does appear to freeze (maybe similar to what you are seeing), but then pressing any key on the device 'unlocks' it and it then starts up normally. Perhaps you could try that? I haven't found out why it should do this (theres certainly no code that 'waits' for input, its a bit weird!)

One other thing springs to mind - after installing the new version have you set all the application permissions to 'full access' (not that it should need these on starting up, but its worth a try)...?

Any joy?

Cheers,
Stephen

Eswar

6:02
Tuesday
15-Jul-2008

Hi Stephen,
I'm searching for an application to track my position and position live update on web.
Till date i'm using mgmaps but not satisfied. Yesterday i came across trackmyjourney and wondering howcome i missed this pretty app.
I tested TMJ in my Nokia 6110 navigator and its working fine.

Regards,
Eswar Kumar

jonte

15:13
Tuesday
15-Jul-2008

Great update!

I particulary like the pause/resume track recording (and the option to map it to the zero key), speed in minutes/km, the ability to create waypoints by entering coordinates and the option to hide clutter when scrolling on the map page.

I have spotted something that I am not sure if it is a bug or a feature! :-) When track recording is paused, it still sends trackpoints to the site if web upload is enabled. The track on the phone and the site can therefore differ quite a lot.

Cheers,
Jonas

radoo

19:01
Tuesday
15-Jul-2008

Hi Stephen,
I did try all you suggested. There is no change. It still looks like the first screen is frozen. I don't have enough time right now, but if you have other things to try, just let me know. Thanks. Rado.

Stephen

20:11
Wednesday
16-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Rado,

Hmmm, this is so annoying!! What is the exact point that it freezes? Does it appear to initally start loading stuff and then hang, or does it not even get past the first item. For your information, the items are in the following order:

-Loading Preferences
-Loading Map Indexes
-Processing Indexes
-Loading Map Cache
-Loading Track
-Processing Track
-Loading Route
-Loading Route List
-Loading Waypoints

Jonas,
Thats a good point, I'm not really sure which should be the 'correct' behaviour either. I suppose overall its best if no new points are sent (since you're effectively telling the phone that these points shoud be ignored anyway!) - I'll change this in the next version...

Cheers,
Stephen

radoo

21:41
Wednesday
16-Jul-2008

Hi Stephen,
it freezes already at the first point - Loading Preferencies. Then the doesn't respond anymore.
I did try:
- to uninstal and install again,
- set up all permisions again
- push buttons all around,
- changed focus from one app to another,
I can't figure out what is going on. Is there somewhere file which could be corrupted? or anything else?
Thanks.
Rado

Stephen

11:57
Thursday
17-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

In testing on my Axim I downloaded the file direct from the website so I'd be surprised if it is due to corruption. However I'll try doing a fresh compile and upload later today to rule this out at least. I'll also add a couple of minor error-trapping functions around the start-up code to see if that makes any difference. I don't hold out much hope though :-(

Will let you know when to redownload the file...

(Incidentally, does the older version v0.5.9 still run okay?)

Stephen

20:33
Thursday
17-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Rado,

Ok, I've added a couple of extra 'error-handling' functions, recompiled and re-uploaded the 'Generic No Bluetooth' version (all others remain the same).

I then logged onto the mobile site, downloaded the JAD and JAR files, copied them to the 'Pocket PC' folder of my Axim (using Activesync - might be an older version than yours), and installed it via the J9 'emulator' program by entering tmj-mobilenobt.jad into the file selection box. All seemed to work fine!

The main debugging addition is that now on the Splash screen, everytime it is redrawn (which happens automatically when the progress bars increase or when a key is pressed) a tiny marker should scroll along the very bottom of the screen. It might be interesting to see whether this can be made to move by pressing keys on the keypad, which might at least indicate that the program is still running. If it doesn't move at all then it suggests that the program has completely hung (a bit like a BSOD), in which case we're back to square one! If any errors are trapped you might also get the error written in place of the 'Loading Waypoints, etc' text.

Any progress?

Cheers,
Stephen

radoo

22:22
Thursday
17-Jul-2008

Hi Stephen,
again, I did all you suggested, even when the screen stops I could move the marker with the keyboard. The marker itself did not move without my input from keyboard. The screen stops again at Loading preferencies. I did get any error messages.
I'm thinking about the version of JVM J9 you use and I use. I am very confused.
My numbers ov java version: 20061023_08962_some_letters_2006_09_15

Rado

jonte

11:54
Friday
18-Jul-2008

Hi!

" Thats a good point, I'm not really sure which should be the 'correct' behaviour either. I suppose overall its best if no new points are sent (since you're effectively telling the phone that these points shoud be ignored anyway!) - I'll change this in the next version... "

Sounds good! To me this is definitely the most intuitive behaviour.

Another awkward (minor) thing is that track recording is automatically resumed when the track is cleared during pause-mode. I would prefer that track recording remained paused when the track is cleared during pause-mode. Not a big deal though, but it would save a couple of key-presses when I want to start track recording in a busy situation.

Cheers, Jonas

agleave

12:37
Friday
18-Jul-2008

Hi, i seem to be having a problem with the new 0.6.0 version. Version 0.5.9 was working fine, i have got a Blackberry 8300 (V 4.2.2.181), i installed the Blackberry 8800 version as i did last time but when i open it up i get this message:

Error starting tmjmobilebb8800: Module 'tmjmobilebb8800-1' has verification error 2916 at offset dcfc

This happens before TMJMobile has the start up screen, the only option i get is OK, once you press ok it gets rid of the message and the app never opens.

Is it possible to download the old 0.5.9 version until the app is fixed?

Thanks

Andrew

Stephen

13:50
Sunday
20-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Rado,
I think we're probably running the same version - my Actions/About screen gives the following:
IBM MIDP 2.0 Emulator; vesion 2.3 build: 20061109_1110
IBM J9 2.3 Windows CE arm-32 (JIT enabled)
Is this the same as yours?

Jonas, I'll look into the pause track issue...

Andrew, another annoying BlackBerry issue!! ;-) It might be worth trying a full reset (turn off and remove battery for a few seconds) and then reinstall. Otherwise, I've put v0.5.9 back up at here, but bear in mind that this version expires in around 10 days! I'll try and get another version ready by then, but can't promise!

Cheers,
Stephen

agleave

7:35
Monday
21-Jul-2008

Hi, thanks Stephen, I installed the 0.5.9 version again, i then uninstalled that version, took the battery off, turned the phone back on and downloaded the 0.6.0 version for 8800 (JAR not JAD) and it works fine. Before i was using the JAR download.

Thanks

Andrew

Stephen

10:11
Tuesday
22-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Andrew,

Good to hear it worked! I have to say that BlackBerrys seem to be quite odd sometimes in their behaviour - one handset might work fine whereas another (of the same model!) might not. Makes it very difficult to debug!

Cheers,
Stephen

gpsnavigator

10:54
Tuesday
22-Jul-2008

Bug report: I have tried the N95+gps version on an N82 and it generally works fine once it gets a fix. However, tmj is unable by itself to start the internal gps from a cold start regardless of whether it is set to auto-connect or it is started manually. The only way to get it to connect is to first get a fix using another program, and then tmj connects fine.

A very impressive product nevertheless. Well done.

Stephen

14:18
Wednesday
23-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Yes I've had another report of this happening, though in that case the GPS would start itself eventually, but would take a while before it got a fix. Is this same on yours? (Turn it on and leave it somewhere with a clear view of the sky for a few minutes to try...)

Cheers,
Stephen

gpsnavigator

8:34
Tuesday
29-Jul-2008

Yes, it can start the gps out in the open. The issue is that it is unable to initialise the assisted gps at all. Other applications with support for the assisted gps are able to go online, if necessary, to retrieve the small ephemeris data which aids getting the quick fix even indoors. TMJ never does this.

Is there a bug tracker for this project or is this the best place to report bugs and wish requests talking of which, could you add an option to clear tracks on exit?

Many thanks again for a very thoughtfully designed and excellent program.

Stephen

19:42
Tuesday
29-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

No worries - I should probably sort out some kind of bug tracker, though I'm *just* about coping with the bugs listed in the various messages on these forums!

You've given me a clue about the assisted GPS - when TMJ 'asks' the phone to tell it where it is (which should then trigger the phone to start its GPS and try and get a fix) there is an option that I could set to 'Allow Cost'. At the moment I've set TMJ to not allow any costs for determining the location, but perhaps if I provide a yes/no option for this then it might enable your Assisted GPS to work. Worth a try...

I'm slightly apprehensive of the 'Clear Track on Exit' option, it would be so easy to delete a track accidentally!! Do you know about the * key trick on starting up - if you press this during the initial loading screen then the track and route will be cleared for you. Does that help? Or does anyone else have any comments about the delete-on-close option?

Cheers,
Stephen

gpsnavigator

12:39
Thursday
31-Jul-2008

Stephen,

I look forward to testing the assisted gps when you apply the fix.

I didn't know about the start-up option to not load tracks. I agree that that's a safer way to achieve the same result. Thanks.

Could you re-order the export/import menu to reduce clutter and possibly add more options (import gpx tracks, or import/export waypoints from/to the nokia landmarks database for example). I have in mind something like this:

File > Import Waypoints
   Import Track
   Import Route
   ---------
   Export Waypoints
   Export Track
   Export Route

And then those options to lead to the choices (csv,ozi,gpx,kml,osm,nokia lmk, etc.)

Lastly for your information, openstreetmaps now has an option to export data. Importing the image created in that way into the TMJ converter and saving in the tmj format works ok.

gpsnavigator

10:37
Saturday
2-Aug-2008

Stephen,

One other wish, option to append the imported track to the current track rather than replacing it. Thanks.

Stephen

12:51
Saturday
2-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

" Could you re-order the export/import menu to reduce clutter and possibly add more options (import gpx tracks, or import/export waypoints from/to the nokia landmarks database for example). "
Yes, I've now tidied up this menu for the next version. I'll look into the landmarks database import/export functions (probably won't be till a subsequent version though).

I'm afraid the GPX import is unlikely - as discussed in this thread a full XML parser is possibly a bit too complex for TMJ, but you can import a GPX track to the website via this page, which may help.

" One other wish, option to append the imported track to the current track rather than replacing it. "
I will add this, but you should be aware that it can have weird consequences. Each trackpoint has a timestamp, so if you 'append' a track that is earlier than the current track it will actually be inserted before the current track. If there are any overlaps between the two tracks (eg if you import the same track twice), then all the speed/time calculations will be erroneous (due to consecutive points having identical timestamps), and other functions might not work correctly (the Web Upload might give strange results, for example).

Overall, the Import Track functions were initially added just to allow very basic analysis of old tracks. In general TMJ is designed to work with the 'live' GPS data, rather than as an editing tool for old data. So long as you're aware of these potential pitfalls, the append track should otherwise work okay...

(I'll also add the Append option for Importing Routes - these don't have timestamps so won't suffer the same problems).

Cheers,
Stephen

gpsnone

18:41
Sunday
3-Aug-2008

hi,

this is regarding the change made in 0,5,9
"
- Changed background on Gauges page to permanently black/grey.
"

it is very hard now to recognize the distance field in the lower left with direct sunlight. i dont know the reason for changing this, but perhaps this can be made changeable?

regards,

alexander

gpsnavigator

8:59
Monday
4-Aug-2008

" So long as you're aware of these potential pitfalls, the append track should otherwise work okay... "

Go ahead please, fine by me. As regards, the gpx import, it's no big deal, I can use other conversion tools. Thanks.

It would be useful if one could set a default directory for export/import and other saved data so as to keep directory access confirmation messages to a minimum. Also useful would be a timestamp to the default file name for saved tracks.

Stephen

12:08
Monday
4-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

" It would be useful if one could set a default directory for export/import and other saved data so as to keep directory access confirmation messages to a minimum. Also useful would be a timestamp to the default file name for saved tracks. "
Funny you should mention this - somebody else suggested this to me a couple of days ago so I've already built this into the next version!

" it is very hard now to recognize the distance field in the lower left with direct sunlight. i dont know the reason for changing this, but perhaps this can be made changeable? "
I actually changed it to a black background to aid this (seems better on my own phone), but I guess it might vary between phones - I'll add the black/white background choice as a Settings option...

Cheers,
Stephen

gpsnavigator

16:12
Tuesday
5-Aug-2008

stephen:

Yet another wish: Navigate through the individual points of an already recorded track, and view the detailed information (coordinates, elevation etc.) about each individual point as you scroll along, with the possibility to add the currently selected point as a waypoint. Navigation could be point by point, or a five or ten or x number point leap at a time. This way, I can minimise fiddling with the phone while driving! This edit mode could be mapped to a key and used in the Navigation/Plan? view.

More grease to your elbow.

Stephen

19:37
Wednesday
6-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Aha, yet again I think I've beaten you to it!! ;-) The next version has a completely new page '8' screen - I've got rid of the old 3D view and replaced it with a fully scrollable combination of the Navigation and Plan views. You can either scroll around freely or else lock onto the track, giving a readout similar to the Graph page.

Hopefully have it ready in the next few days, final bug-testing notwithstanding!

Cheers!
Stephen

gpsnavigator

9:47
Saturday
9-Aug-2008

" The next version has a completely new page '8' screen - I've got rid of the old 3D view and replaced it with a fully scrollable combination of the Navigation and Plan views. "

Sounds good although I do find the 3D view useful and would be sorry to see it go. The 3D view adds to the aesthetic appeal of TMJ too!

Stephen

13:22
Saturday
9-Aug-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Theres just not enough number keys to have it as a separate page! I haven't removed the old 3D code completely yet, so could possibly keep it in as an option. The new screen does still display the track in 3D (like on the Navigation page), its just that it doesn't use the Java 3D API. Let me know what you think once the new version is released - personally I think the new screen looks better anyhow!!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)